An awning contractor installs, modifies, or repairs aluminum, metal, vinyl, or canvas awnings and patio covers. These installations can be either freestanding or attached to a structure. Patio enclosures or carports are not included in this classification.
Central Vacuum Systems
A central vacuum systems contractor installs, modifies, maintains, or repairs central vacuum systems, pneumatic tube dispatching systems, or any other type of pipeline which operates systems of reduced pressure for any purpose.
A concrete-related services contractor installs reusable steel concrete form sections or interlocking precast pavers. Performs post-tensioning work, concrete sawing, breaking, curing, floor hardening treatment, coloring concrete, concrete restoration, coring work or operates a concrete pumping service; also includes the application of gunite, but does not include the installation of reinforcing steel.
Drilling, Blasting and Oil Field Work
A drilling contractor does core and post hole drilling, horizontal drilling (no piping), and drilling for placement of charges and performing blasting work; performs drilling for site dewatering, oil well drilling, and other oil field-related specialty work. (DOES NOT INCLUDE WATER WELL DRILLING)
An elevated floors contractor installs wood or metal framed elevated computer flooring systems. This work does not include the construction of mezzanines.
- Synthetic countertops and wall coverings; fiberglass, plastic, vinyl, and epoxy products; plastic tile board and decorative artwork; and synthetic turf.
- Bathtub and enamel refinishing, resin and epoxy application, and synthetic caulking and sealants.
- Reservoir liners, vinyl swimming pool relining, pier piling wrap, and rodent guards.
- PVC piping systems for irrigation and drainage; subsurface irrigation drip systems.
Hardware, Locks and Safes
A hardware, locks and safes contractor installs, modifies, or repairs power and/or manually activated door and window locks with related hardware, built-in safes, and vaults
Machinery and Pumps
A machinery and pumps contractor installs, removes, modifies, or repairs:
- Pumps; conveyors; cranes; dock levelers; various hoisting and material handling equipment and meters.
- Dumb waiters; handicap lifting and assistance equipment; automated speedrail trolley systems for garment hanging.
- Automatic car washing racks and auto body paint finishing booth equipment.
A metal products contractor installs, modifies, or repairs the following:
- Metal cabinets, lockers, modular storage structures, mail chutes, cable racks; and aluminum or vinyl storm doors and windows.
- Metal wall tiles; aluminum fascia covers; and metal gutters.
- Aluminum studs and trusses; metal railings and turnstiles; metal prison cell accessories such as welded-to-structure cell furniture; grills and cabinets.
Doors, Gates and Activating Devices
A doors, gates and activating devices contractor installs, modifies, or repairs all types of residential, commercial, or industrial doors including overhead or sliding door assemblies. This includes but is not limited to: wood and screen doors, metal-clad doors, glass sliding/stationary doors and frames, automatic revolving doors, hospital cubical doors, and related installations, power activated doors, gates, movable sun shades/shutters, card activated equipment and other access control device and any low voltage electronic or manually operated door hardware/ device.
A paper-hanging contractor applies all types and varieties of decorative wall coverings, except painting or paneling, including paper and vinyl goods, cork, burlap, and carpet-type wall coverings.
Foundation Jacking Contractor Pile Driving and Pressure
A pile driving and pressure foundation jacking contractor provides a pile driving and/or caisson drilling or auger service. This work also includes but is not limited to the injection of concrete or mortar into foundations for stabilization purposes.
Pole Installation and Maintenance
A pole installation and maintenance contractor installs wood or precast poles to support the wiring or cable that is installed by others or installs and maintains flag poles.
A prefabricated products/equipment contractor performs installations of prefabricated products/equipment, including but not limited to the following:
- Theater stage equipment, school classroom equipment, playground equipment, bleacher bench/seat component parts (no installation or renovation of any supporting or structural member); store fixtures, and display cases (either prefabricated or modular form); all forms and types of toilet/shower room partitions/accessories; and prefabricated closet systems.
- Laboratory and medical equipment, dust collecting systems; factory built fireplaces and accessories (no masonry facing); major appliance installations and ventilating hoods in connection with existing fuel and energy lines which are installed by others.
- Bus stop shelters, prefabricated phone booths; prefabricated soundproof environmental clean rooms; panelized refrigerated walk-in boxes (not to include the work of refrigeration contractor); all types of modular office, institutional, or home improvement systems including, but not limited to all types of pre-finished and/or UL listed pre-wired wall panels.
Pool and Spa Maintenance
A pool and spa maintenance contractor installs, replaces, or repairs pool motors, pumps, filters, gas heaters, and any above ground piping in connection with pools; including electrical switches, breakers, pool lights, diving boards, existing solar systems that heat pools, pool and spa acid baths and applies vinyl liners to existing surfaces.
Sand and Water Blasting
A sand and water blasting contractor uses the force of compressed air in conjunction with abrasive materials or water to clean or prepare surfaces for any protective, decorative, and/or functional treatment.
A scaffolding contractor erects metal or wood scaffolding including temporary sidewalk sheltered construction work barricades.
Service Station Equipment and Maintenance
A service station maintenance contractor installs and/or removes underground fuel storage tanks up to 20,000 gallons that have been or are to be used for dispensing gasoline, diesel fuel, waste oil, or kerosene (no chemicals). This work involves the installation and/or removal of all incidental tank related piping, and electrical work, including the installation of vapor probes in backfill areas of the tanks and any associated calibration work, including but not limited to the testing and adjustment of leak detection and vapor recovery equipment, such as automatic tank gauges, leak line detectors, vapor recovery lines, and in-station diagnostics. This contractor also performs the installation of auto hoisting equipment, grease racks, compressors, air hoses, and other service station equipment.
Note: Licensees holding this classification prior to January 18, 2001, may perform all the work as described above. Licenses issued after this date may perform the “calibration” work only.
Siding and Decking
A siding and decking contractor applies or installs all types of exterior siding including wood, wood products, vinyl, aluminum, and metal siding to new or existing buildings. This contractor also constructs wooden decks and related handrails. This work shall not include the construction or installation of covers or enclosures of any kind.
Non-Electrical Sign Installation
A non-electrical sign installation contractor fabricates and installs all types of non-electrical signs, including but not limited to: post or pole supported signs, signs attached to structures, painted wall signs, and modifications to existing signs.
A tree service contractor prunes trees removes trees, limbs, or stumps (including grinding), and engages in tree or limb guying.
A suspended ceilings contractor installs, modifies, or repairs all types of suspended ceilings, including but not limited to the following: lay-in-grid and other types of systems involving solid, perforated, or translucent ceiling panels (no electrical work).
A window coverings contractor installs or applies decorative, architectural/ functional window/glass treatment or covering products, including but not limited to the following: all types of materials and fabrics that make up louvers, shutters, Venetian, and mini-blinds; residential or commercial draperies and screens; expanded metal window and door guards; plastic film window treatment and/or any other window treatment applied for temperature control or as a screening device.
A wood tanks contractor erects or repairs elevated wooden storage tanks and related cooling towers. (Hot tubs are not included.)
A trenching contractor is a limited specialty contractor whose contracting business is trenching only for foundations, pipelines, conduit, and related trenching work.
A hydroseed spraying contractor applies seeds through any liquid media to any type of surface that has been prepared or contoured by others
Air and Water Balancing
An air and water balancing contractor installs any device and performs any work related to providing a specified flow of air in all types of existing heating and cooling systems and/or related to providing a specified flow of water in water piping systems.
A construction cleanup contractor cleans up and/or removes from building grounds or structures any debris resultant from any construction project including but not limited to: concrete, dirt, scrap lumber, plaster, drywall, any paint or adhesive products from windows, floors, ceramic tile, and bathroom fixtures.
A nonspecialized contractor installs, modifies, maintains, and repairs new products and/or new installations which are not defined in any section herein or defined in any license classification authorized by the Board under Chapter 9, Division 3 of the Business and Professions Code (Contractors License Law).