(916) 870-1854

Earthwork and Paving Contractors


Able to dig, move, and place material forming the surface of the earth


With an earthwork & paving contractors license, you will be able to dig, move, and place material forming the surface of the earth, other than water, in such a manner that a cut, fill, excavation, grade, trench, backfill, or tunnel (if incidental thereto) can be executed, including the use of explosives for these purposes.

The earthwork & paving classification includes the mixing, fabricating, and placing of paving and any other surfacing materials.


Before you can apply for your earthwork & paving contractors license, you must meet the following experience requirements:

  • 4 years of experience performing/supervising earthwork & paving (C-12) work.
  • Social Security number or TIN
  • Be at least 18 years old*


Don’t have 4 years of earthwork & paving experience?
A college degree can be substituted for up to three years of that experience.

The State will accept self-employed experience.

In order to obtain your earthwork & paving contractors license, you are required to pass the Trade examination as well as the Law & Business exam.


*Even though you can apply for an earthwork & paving contractors license when you are 18 years old, it is recommended that you be at least 23 years old due to experience requirement.

Be the first to comment on "Earthwork and Paving Contractors"

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.